Skip to main content

Do It Anyway



I was out on one of my thinking walks the other day and was reminiscing about a workshop I had attended the weekend before. At this fitness conference, one of the speakers, Martin Rooney asked us to do what I thought was a ridiculous activity. He wanted this room full of fitness professionals to stand up, jog in place with our hands in the air and sing the theme song from Rocky. I was remembering how annoyed I was when he asked us to do this. After getting up much earlier than I usually do on a Saturday, driving for about an hour in the cold rain, running through the parking lot dodging big puddles of water, and making my way through the crowd to find a seat, I was looking forward to sitting with my coffee in hand and listening to the presentations all day. I had ZERO interest in participating in this foolish activity. I started looking around the room to see if anyone began to follow his instructions and saw a few who were starting to stand up. I thought to myself, “I am getting too old for this crap”. He then said, “C’mon, everybody up”. I succumbed to his request and then adrenaline started flooding my body. Normally I like adrenaline because I am a high energy person but not on this particular morning and certainly not before my caffeine! We all proceeded to sing and jog. He obviously was not happy with our lukewarm performance and said with an even louder commanding voice, “Start again! This time louder!” The room filled with more energy as everyone sang a lot louder and with more passion and enthusiasm. He got that entire room of 200 fitness professionals to jog in place with our arms overhead and sing the theme song from Rocky loudly with energy and excitement - It was electrifying!

As we returned to our seats filled with laughter and lighter hearts, Martin explained his rationale for having us perform this task. He said that there were probably a lot of people in the room who didn’t think they had it in them to do this or simply didn’t want to do it but did it anyway. I didn’t want to stand up and sing - first of all, I hadn't even finished my coffee and second, deep down inside I'm pretty sure that I was afraid of making a fool out of myself. Tony Robbins refers a lot to the term "motion creates emotion". The meaning of this term is not to wait until you are in the mood to do something but to move first and the emotions will follow. Before Martin asked us to jog and sing in place I was annoyed but afterwards, I was filled with the emotion of joy. The motion created the emotion!

The theme song from Rocky naturally made me think of my pet hamster when I was a kid. As a 9-year-old girl that movie had enough of an impact on me that I named my pet after the main character, Rocky Balboa. Rocky was a regular guy with all odds against him who overcame obstacles to become the heavyweight champion of the world. I am sure he didn't feel like waking up in the middle of the night to eat raw eggs and go for a run in the cold, dark air but he did it anyway!
During that same walk, I thought about a letter I had written when I was sixteen years old to my best friend Margie. We spent our summers together in Montauk, Long Island but during the school year, we wrote letters to each other to keep in touch. In one of her letters, she mentioned that she had been trying to lose a few pounds and asked me if I had any diet plans to give her. I guess she thought of me as some sort of weight loss expert. I didn't know I was but I gave her advice happily. Here is the letter:

It hit me that even as a 16-year-old I was teaching, inspiring and setting an example for better health. As my stride got longer and my breathing deeper, I had come to the realization that through helping people live a healthier life, I not only get to live my dreams every day but I am doing what God put me on this earth to do! 

Over the years I have attended numerous workshops where the speakers ranged from being arrogant, boring, funny, interesting, knowledgeable, etc. but I have never been to a workshop where one of the speakers made me realize that my whole life has prepared me for my chosen field. I have never been to a workshop where one of the speakers inspired me to write my first blog. I get to wake up in the morning and inspire people every day! I get to teach them that like Rocky Balboa, with hard work, sheer determination, and just doing it anyway, we can achieve whatever we set our minds to.  

  - Kim Musikant




Active Life Fitness Personal Trainers & Gym
94 North Ave, Garwood, NJ 07027
(908) 389-8009

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Keep a Food Diary?

Studies show that when people journal their food intake, they are more likely to succeed with fat loss goals. When it comes to keeping a food log, though, most people are not sold. So, what's holding you back?   When we ask clients to share their journals with us, we don't care whether or not you have been "perfect".  Our job is to help, not judge. W e don't go home at night, and then entertain ourselves reading about the 26.2 cookies you ate last week. Helping you is our life's work, and we want you to succeed.   People tend to think they should hand in an exemplary journal with pristine line items of strictly portioned meals. Yes, we want to see the good, but we also want to see the bad and the ugly. No perfect people allowed! Together we can make little changes that add up to big successes. I recently had a conversation with an ALF member who confessed to attacking a bag of trail mix the night before. I told her that she can still attack the trail mix but m

Can less sleep cause weight gain?

The Siblings Who Refused to Go to Bed: Leptin and Ghrelin Leptin and Ghrelin are hormones. These cute little guys are from the neuroendocrine system. The neuroendocrine system is the system in our bodies responsible for controlling our appetites! That is worth repeating. The neuroendocrine system is responsible for managing our appetites. (Ever notice that when you are sleep deprived, you crave carbs? Read on...) Leptin tells our brain, "Ok, I am good to go. I am full. I don't need any more food right now." Leptin tells us when we are satisfied - commonly called the satiety factor. However, when we are sleep deprived, Leptin is decreased. In short, less sleep equals a decrease in food being able to satisfy us, which leads to overeating and weight gain. Ghrelin signals our caloric needs. Ghrelin tells us when to eat and how much to eat. Lack of sleep increases Ghrelin, thereby increasing the need to eat more. Decreases in Leptin and increases in Ghrelin, caused by sleep lo

How I Met My Mentor

My desire to help others become strong and fit started as a member of The Westfield Area Y. I wanted other people to experience what had happened to me - my body becoming fitter was helping my mind become stronger and my self-confidence to soar. The Y also gave me a sense of belonging. I loved the people there, and I felt valued.  As I became more comfortable in the classes and the weight room, I got to know the Fitness Director, Jean White, pictured here. A petite woman with a huge heart and an even bigger smile. She saw something in me and encouraged me to get certified. I laughed it off but did enjoy the attention - I was flattered.  The laughing turned into kicking and screaming when I realized that my desire to be in the fitness world was stronger than my fear of getting up in front of a crowd (hence the kicking and screaming). I had to do this - not for her, but for me. Jean  planted a seed in my heart that grew and pulled me straight into the world of fitness.   Months passed by