Skip to main content

Why You Should Throw Away Your Scale

Sometimes the scale does a number on our heads, especially when we've been "good" all week and can't understand why the numbers haven't budged.

Then, our inner critic takes over, "Why should I even bother, I've tried everything, nothing works."

We get discouraged. We give up.

While the weight on the scale matters, it doesn't tell the whole story. It's what that weight is made up of (body composition) that is a far more critical number.

Many of us still hold onto the illusion that a magical number will make us happy and feel like we have succeeded. When that day does not arrive, we tell ourselves little lies such as, "I'm too old to lose weight," "My metabolism isn't what it used to be," "Things will never change."

To combat this toxic relationship with our scale, we challenge you to kick it to the curb, throw it out, donate it to the Goodwill, or smash it to pieces!

Then, look into having your body composition measured. Maybe your doctor can recommend a place. Or, if you are local, make an appointment with us to take your body composition measurements with no strings attached.

We love to help people improve their health and fitness whether they are members or not. Finding out your body composition is a critical step in your goal setting process.

Let us know if we can help. Please leave a comment below if you would like more information on how to improve your body composition.

Kim Musikant
Active Life Fitness Personal Trainers and Gym
94 North Avenue
Garwood, NJ 07027
(908)389-8009
http://activelifefitness.net/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Keep a Food Diary?

Studies show that when people journal their food intake, they are more likely to succeed with fat loss goals. When it comes to keeping a food log, though, most people are not sold. So, what's holding you back?   When we ask clients to share their journals with us, we don't care whether or not you have been "perfect".  Our job is to help, not judge. W e don't go home at night, and then entertain ourselves reading about the 26.2 cookies you ate last week. Helping you is our life's work, and we want you to succeed.   People tend to think they should hand in an exemplary journal with pristine line items of strictly portioned meals. Yes, we want to see the good, but we also want to see the bad and the ugly. No perfect people allowed! Together we can make little changes that add up to big successes. I recently had a conversation with an ALF member who confessed to attacking a bag of trail mix the night before. I told her that she can still attack the trail mix but m

How I Met My Mentor

My desire to help others become strong and fit started as a member of The Westfield Area Y. I wanted other people to experience what had happened to me - my body becoming fitter was helping my mind become stronger and my self-confidence to soar. The Y also gave me a sense of belonging. I loved the people there, and I felt valued.  As I became more comfortable in the classes and the weight room, I got to know the Fitness Director, Jean White, pictured here. A petite woman with a huge heart and an even bigger smile. She saw something in me and encouraged me to get certified. I laughed it off but did enjoy the attention - I was flattered.  The laughing turned into kicking and screaming when I realized that my desire to be in the fitness world was stronger than my fear of getting up in front of a crowd (hence the kicking and screaming). I had to do this - not for her, but for me. Jean  planted a seed in my heart that grew and pulled me straight into the world of fitness.   Months passed by

Can less sleep cause weight gain?

The Siblings Who Refused to Go to Bed: Leptin and Ghrelin Leptin and Ghrelin are hormones. These cute little guys are from the neuroendocrine system. The neuroendocrine system is the system in our bodies responsible for controlling our appetites! That is worth repeating. The neuroendocrine system is responsible for managing our appetites. (Ever notice that when you are sleep deprived, you crave carbs? Read on...) Leptin tells our brain, "Ok, I am good to go. I am full. I don't need any more food right now." Leptin tells us when we are satisfied - commonly called the satiety factor. However, when we are sleep deprived, Leptin is decreased. In short, less sleep equals a decrease in food being able to satisfy us, which leads to overeating and weight gain. Ghrelin signals our caloric needs. Ghrelin tells us when to eat and how much to eat. Lack of sleep increases Ghrelin, thereby increasing the need to eat more. Decreases in Leptin and increases in Ghrelin, caused by sleep lo