Our clients know that if I hear that kind of talk in the gym, I will most likely deliver my "We become what we think about most" speech.
Hopefully, someone will call my name soon so I can remove myself from this situation that is causing physical changes in my body - as in my face is getting a little flush and my heartbeat is a bit faster.
I really did not want to add to their conversation, so I kept my head down in my magazine, trying to mind my own business, and wait for my name to be called. I was hoping they would change the subject, but they continued to talk about how difficult life is at their age and that their bodies are not the same anymore.
Ut oh, here I go..."It doesn't have to be that way", I blurted out..."It's all about lifestyle choices...I own a gym for people over 40, and I have lots of middle-aged clients who feel great!" One of the women laughed and lightheartedly said, "Oh, good job on promoting your business."
When it comes to fitness and health stuff, it's hard for me to keep quiet!
I really do want everyone to feel their best and live a long, healthy, active, and pain-free life (physically and emotionally). I'm just living by my Major, Definite, Purpose that I wrote in 2010 (see above).
So now, you guys get to hear my "whatever we think about, we become speech." If we think about how life is all downhill once we reach a certain age, that's precisely what we will get - a tired, achy, blah existence. If we think about how beautifully we were created and choose nutritionally dense foods to nourish our healthy, perfectly made bodies, we will get more of that! If we treat our bodies by moving more with exercise, getting enough sleep, and living a healthy lifestyle, our bodies will thank us.
Let's strive for progress, not perfection. Here are some ideas:
- Eat or drink your greens. Get the good stuff at your local farm (Like Dreyer Farms) or a find a local farmers market. The fresh stuff always tastes better. Check out our Pinterest nutrition board for inspiration. https://www.pinterest.com/activelifefitness/nutrition/
- Find a park and walk - move that body!
- SLEEP...so important!
- Cut down or cut out sugar, alcohol, and all processed foods.
- Google "portion sizes" to get a better idea on how much food you should be consuming.
- Get involved in a strength training program.
Dedicated to Your Success,
Active Life Fitness Personal Trainers and Gym
94 North Avenue
Garwood, NJ 07027